[OS X TeX] migration from Fink to Gerben Wierda's TeX

Joseph C. Slater joseph.slater at wright.edu
Tue Feb 22 18:09:45 EST 2005

On Feb 22, 2005, at 4:56 PM, Andrei Sobolevskii wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Please forgive me asking a question that may sound a bit arrogant.
> Recently I migrated from a Linux box to Mac OS X and installed TeX
> along with a number of other necessary utilities using the Fink
> distribution.  Now that the dust has settled, I started to ask myself
> if this choice was optimal.
>
> Thus the question: what could be advantages (if any) of migrating to
> Gerben Wierda's TeX?  Do you think it would be a good idea?  For one
> thing, it seems that the latter TeX distribution is supported better
> in terms of getting up-to-date packages.  Is that right?  On the other
> hand, nobody wants to destabilize an already working setup. Could both
> TeXs live together on my Mac without conflicts for some transitional
> period?  Did anybody perform this kind of migration?
<snip>
I have both installed. The fink installation is there only to satisfy
dependencies of fink. The following in my .cshrc file (I haven't
switched to bash) seems to do the trick just fine:
source /sw/bin/init.csh
setenv PATH /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current:$PATH

Then again, maybe I'm just getting lucky with it.

Joe

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>