[OS X TeX] OT: Pages from iWork

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Fri Feb 25 10:58:09 EST 2005

Le 25 févr. 05, à 16:43, Curtis Clifton a écrit :

> On Feb 25, 2005, at 8:48 AM, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:
>
>> I was under the impression that Equation Service could re-read its
>> own PDF and interpret it as TeX source, similar to what Create.app
>> does with its PDF.  Perhaps I'm getting confused with some other
>> application, though.
>
> Equation Service can do this, but it depends somewhat on the
> application that is hosting the PDF image.  This is because Equation
> Service generates multiple versions of the typeset equation, TIFF and
> PDF being two that I know of.  The host application apparently has
> some flexibility in deciding which of the available formats to use.
> For example, betas of OmniOutliner 3 would take the TIFF image and
> lose the ability to convert the image back to LaTeX source.  The folks
> at the OmniGroup changed OO3 to instead take the PDF image, so OO3 now
> plays nice with Equation Service.  (Other than the baseline issues
> discussed elsewhere in this thread.)

Thanks for the clarification. A couple of years back, I looked at both
Equation Service and LaTeX Equation Editor, and chose the latter on the
basis that I liked its user interface better (BTW I have the impression
that OOoLaTeXEquation picked some concepts for its user interface, like
the separation of three types -- display, inline and text --, from it).
At that time I was under the impression the features of both equation
editors were essentially identical, only the GUIs were different.

Obviously I was wrong, and Equation Service has more to offer. Thanks
for pointing it out.

Bruno Voisin

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>