[OS X TeX] New TeX i-Package release in *EXPERIMENTAL* i-Directory

Doug Fields dfields-macosx-tex-0205 at pexicom.com
Sun Feb 27 10:30:12 EST 2005

On Feb 27, 2005, at 2:53 AM, Bruno Voisin a écrit:
> Le 27 févr. 05, à 02:40, Doug Fields a écrit :
>> Please put user-specific stuff in ~/Library. If it's not appropriate
>> for ~/Library/texmf (which I've only used to install TeXShop as per
>> it's installation instruction), please put it in another
>> ~/Library/somethingElse instead. I would strongly prefer to keep
>> user-specific data out of the whole /usr/local directory structure.
>
> What do you mean? In particular, by user-specific stuff. What's wrong
> in ~/Library/texmf? What exactly do you suggest instead? I've problems
> understanding your point.

I was responding to Gerben's comment here:

> The question is where to keep the configuration stuff (and the compiled
> fmt files) for each user. I find the HOME directory a bad idea. So I am
> thinking about keeping it in
> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.localuser.username with a symlink in your
> home directory (this is a different tree than ~/Library/texmf)

Which, in his final parenthetical comment, Gerben seemed to indicate
that he did not want to store the new configuration file tree from the
2005 Experimental release in the ~/Library/texmf directory structure,
but rather in a /usr/local/ subdirectory.

I was simply saying that I'd rather not have any user-modifiable files
in the /usr/local/ tree if it can be avoided, even if it has a symlink
from the ~ directory somewhere. If necessary, I'd rather do it the
other way (symlink from /usr/local/ to ~) or, preferably, avoid a
symlink by the installation procedure altogether.

Does this clarify?

Thanks,

Doug

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>