[OS X TeX] New TeX i-Package release in *EXPERIMENTAL* i-Directory

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Sun Feb 27 11:06:04 EST 2005

Le 27 févr. 05, à 16:30, Doug Fields a écrit :

> I was responding to Gerben's comment here:
>
>> The question is where to keep the configuration stuff (and the
>> compiled
>> fmt files) for each user. I find the HOME directory a bad idea. So I
>> am
>> thinking about keeping it in
>> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.localuser.username with a symlink in your
>> home directory (this is a different tree than ~/Library/texmf)
>
> Which, in his final parenthetical comment, Gerben seemed to indicate
> that he did not want to store the new configuration file tree from the
> 2005 Experimental release in the ~/Library/texmf directory structure,
> but rather in a /usr/local/ subdirectory.
>
> I was simply saying that I'd rather not have any user-modifiable files
> in the /usr/local/ tree if it can be avoided, even if it has a symlink
> from the ~ directory somewhere. If necessary, I'd rather do it the
> other way (symlink from /usr/local/ to ~) or, preferably, avoid a
> symlink by the installation procedure altogether.
>
> Does this clarify?

It does. Actually, going back to Gerben's message to which you had
responded, your suggestion makes much sense and I, too, would favour
having user-specific stuff (formats, configuration files) in
~/Library/texmf rather than somewhere inside /usr/local/teTeX/share/.
Gerben does not say why he thinks the HOME directory is a bad idea;
possibly avoiding, due to space constraints, to reproduce the same
stuff in each user's HOME and using symlinks to
/usr/local/teTeX/share/... instead?

I had not read your original message closely enough, and I had thought
you meant ~/Library/texmf was bad choice for storing any user-specific
file, and some subdirectory of /usr/local would be better, or another
subdirectory of ~/Library. Sorry.

Bruno Voisin

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>