[OS X TeX] HoeflerTextFont

Thomas A.Schmitz thomas.schmitz at uni-bonn.de
Sun Feb 27 13:42:59 EST 2005

If memory serves right, there were a couple of questions on this list a
few months ago about the HoeflerText font that comes with your Apple
computer. Some people just couldn't make it work with TeX. I played
around some with fonts this weekend, and discovered the reason for the
problem: in newer versions of the font (mine is 4.1d3), the glyphs are
renamed to non-standard names, so the usual encodings just don't pick
them up. I wrote to custom encoding files texnansi-hoef and
texnansi-hoefsc and created the nescessary tfms and vfs via texfont (a
tool that comes with ConTeXt). What I have is:
- the ``normal'' font that works with all the usual TeX-ligatures (--,
fi, fl etc.) plus the expert ligatures ff, ffi, ffl;
- a virtual font that has, in addition to these ligatures, a mechanism
for using the ``ct'' and ``st'' ligature;
- a small cap variant that has the ``real'' small caps. Since Hoefler
has oldstyle numerals by default, this sc-variant has table-style
numerals.

Anyone interested can drop me a line and I'll send an archive with the
stuff. Mind you: I won't send the actual font, just the files to make
it work with TeX (tfm + vf + mapfile + encodings + ConTeXt typescript +
LaTeX font definition + hoefler-package). I'll try and include some
instructions on installation, but I can't promise I'll be able to help
you with installation and using the files.

Best

Thomas

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>