[OS X TeX] Which Emacs / XEmacs is recommended?

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Mon Feb 28 15:26:34 EST 2005

Am 28.02.2005 um 20:30 schrieb David Poole:

> I don't want to go to the effort of updating emacs and then have to do
> it immediately again. Is there much customization that needs to be
> done to use all of the latex goodies using this emacs? Or should I
> wait till someone else does it?

AUCTeX does not work correctly because tex-site.el uses the wrong value
in

(defvar TeX-lisp-directory
"/Volumes/Emacs/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/auctex"

This and another variable should be set like this:

(defvar TeX-lisp-directory
"/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/auctex"
(defcustom TeX-auto-global
"/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/var/auctex/"

Then we have in site-start.el

(setq ispell-program-name "aspell")

but it seems that aspell is unusable -- and I prefer ispell, which
works, so need to comment this line. Then sometimes a Japanese mode
start when I type C-s ... It's not that much, I think.

Can you keep us informed about your daily success?

BTW, GNU Emacs 21.4 isn't such a big progress. It was published in a
haste due to a security problem that was found. It's code base is quite
old.
The Carbonization of the Japanese Carbon Emacs goes quite far in that
it uses anti-aliasing as other Aqua applications and can be made
transparent ... plus some more things I did not discover yet!

--
Greetings

   Pete

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>