[OS X TeX] No room for a new \dimen

Florian Grammel grammel at gmx.net
Wed Oct 10 07:02:16 EDT 2007

Dear TeXperts,

typesetting a monograph on philology I need both graphs, diagrams,
lots of (nice) tables, an index and critically edited quotations.
This sums up to great number of packages, but the combination of some
(see below) of them (the crucial ones, of course) produces the strange:

> ! No room for a new \dimen .
> \ch at ck ...\else \errmessage {No room for a new #3}

error. The UK-TeX-FAQ told me that this was a heritage from early TeX-
times and suggests

\usepackage{etex}

This works for the minimal example below but as soon as I add the
next package

\usepackage{index}

to it, I'm back where I started from...

Isn't etex supposed to "increase the number of TEX’s count, dimen,
skip, muskip, box, and token registers from 256 to 32768." and thus
provide ample space?

I simply don't get it. Maybe any of you can shed some light on this
behaviour or even propose a solution?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance,
Florian.

---------
LaTeX with TeX Live on 10.4.10 (PPC) TeXShop
---------

\documentclass{book}

%\usepackage{etex}

\usepackage{graphicx}