[OS X TeX] Increasing memory

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Fri Sep 21 08:16:46 EDT 2007

On  21 Sep, 2007, at 06:21, Adam Fenn wrote:

> When I run TeXshop on some of my old files it complains ! TeX
> capacity exceeded, sorry [main memory size=1500000].
> I need to increase main memory size but am not sure how to do this.
> This really is a memory problem rather an error in
> my code as I am able to successfully run the file with OzTex
> although I had to increase mem_max  = 10000000. So far
> I have located texmf.cnf but  I am unable to save any changes to
> it. Could someone run through the procedure to increase
> memory size for me?

First, locate the ``active'' texmf.cnf:

kpsewhich texmf.cnf

You can edit it with pico; v.gr.,

sudo pico /usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf

or with BBEdit or the freeware TextWrangler ( http://
www.barebones.com/ ). When you start changing it, either of those
programs will ask for your admin password.

What I did was to copy more or less the values from Gerben Wierda's
TeX distro. Then I rebuilt formats with

sudo fmtutil-sys --all

Best,

Axel