Re(2): [OS X TeX] "xdv2pdf crashed"

Willem Smelik willem at smelik.myzen.co.uk
Fri Jul 4 16:51:48 EDT 2008

>> I found via the console that "xdv2pdf crashed". But what am I to do
>> about that?
>
>Odd that it works on one machine, but not another. Are they running
>the same Mac OS X version? Do you have the same TeX installation (not
>TeXShop version, but the actual TeX distribution) on both? Compare
>the output you see in the TeXShop console window on the two
>machines.... do they match (up to the point where one fails)?

Exactly the same installation on OSX 10.4.11 (one a G4, the other
Intel). The only difference is that Ulysses was updated - but that
should not interfere with the TeX-installation at all afaik.

>If you run the commands
>
>   which xelatex
>   xelatex --version
>
>in Terminal, what do they report?

Both report as follows:

XeTeX 3.141592-0.996 (Web2C 7.5.6)
kpathsea version 3.5.6
Copyright 2007 SIL International.
Kpathsea is copyright 2007 Karl Berry and Olaf Weber.
There is NO warranty.  Redistribution of this software is
covered by the terms of both the XeTeX copyright and
the Lesser GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the file
named COPYING and the XeTeX source.
Primary author of XeTeX: Jonathan Kew.
Kpathsea written by Karl Berry, Olaf Weber, and others.

Compiled with ICU version 3.4 [with modifications for XeTeX]
Compiled with zlib version 1.2.3; using 1.2.3
Compiled with FreeType2 version 2.2.1; using 2.2.1
Using Mac OS X Carbon, Cocoa & QuickTime frameworks

>Could you make a new, minimal file and see if the problem persists?
>If it works with a new file, try adding options or content (I don't
>know anything about Ulysses, but I guess you can start from something
>simple and work upwards) until you identify what triggers the
>problem. Then we can look into it further.

I tried it with a minimal file, but to no avail—until I tried it with an
even more minimal file and it worked! But there is a point at which it
does not work - I'll have to figure that one out more closely. One thing
had to do with Ulysses (a footnote reference DLDL had to be replaced by
dldl ?), but more experimenting is called for.

Thanks for the suggestions.

All the best,

Willem