[OS X TeX] MacTeX 2011 missing convert xml files

Richard Koch koch at math.uoregon.edu
Sun Feb 5 13:24:43 EST 2012

Folks,

On Feb 5, 2012, at 9:40 AM, Richard Talley wrote:

> I tracked this down to a problem with MacTeX 2011's installation of the ImageMagick convert utility.
>
> The 'What is Installed' pdf file says this:
>
> "The package installs “convert” in /usr/local/bin, nine xml initialization files in /usr/local/lib/ImageMagick-6.6.9/config, and one man page in /usr/local/share/man/man1."
>
> However, looking at the list of files in the MacTeX package, the nine xml initialization files are not included! The correct convert executable and the man page are on my system, but /usr/local/lib/ImageMagick-6.6.9/config doesn't exist.

This problem was raised a couple of months ago as well. I am close to making
the Convert and Ghostscript packages for 2012 and will report here when
they are ready for testing. This will take a couple of weeks due to other tasks.

The documentation you quote is slightly defective, probably because it was revised
from earlier years without carefully checking for changes. In ImageMagick-6.6.9,
the xml files are actually in /usr/local/etc/ImageMagick. The current convert
package doesn't install anything in /usr/local/etc.

I placed a zip file on my web page containing the ImageMagick file from
/usr/local/etc.  A link to the zip is on my web page in the section about ImageMagick.

	http://pages.uoregon.edu/koch/

We supply convert mainly for tex4html, thinking that users familiar with the Unix
version will want to install the full ImageMagick. So the conversion you are
using was never tested.

Dick Koch