[OS X TeX] \documentclass maximum font size

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon Feb 24 20:20:43 EST 2014

On Feb 24, 2014, at 6:56 PM, Victor Ivrii <vivrii at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 3:25 PM, Peter Teeson <peter.teeson at icloud.com> wrote:
> Please be patient with my newbie-ness.
> In TNSS it states that there are 3 point sizes for \documentclass namely 10pt (default), 11pt and 12pt.
> However I need to use at least 14pt (at my age even that is a bit of a struggle even with specs).
> My article is for my own use right now - it probably won't interest many others.
>
> TNSS explains that I can enclose the text in {\Large …….}. But is this appropriate for an entire article?
> It would be more logical (IMHO) to allow a larger base font size in \documentclass.
>
> Is this reasonable and available? Or did I miss something?
>
> respect
>

> Most of documentclasses indeed have 10, 11 and 12pt
>
> However document class memoir allows 9pt, 10pt, 11pt, 12pt, 14pt, 17pt
>
> \documentclass[14pt]{memoir}
>
>  and with option
>
> \documentclass[14pt, extrafontsizes]{memoir}
> --
>
> adds 20pt, 25pt,30pt, 36pt, 48 pt and even 60pt
>
> memoir is a great document class, very flexible, with excellent documentation,  and its current Lars Madsen is very helpful.
>
> I may add that I am using it for all my needs––from student tests to articles and books--except presentations
>
> HTH
>
> Victor Ivrii

Howdy,

While I'd love to use the memoir class most (all?) of my documents tend to use the article class (or a personal class derived from article.cls) and memoir's emulation of that class leave MUCH to be desired.

The memoir manual is one of the most wonderful documents about formatting and really worth a read on its own.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)