[OS X TeX] Can I delete these old ghostscript folders?

Herbert Schulz herbs2 at mac.com
Tue Apr 4 08:33:13 EDT 2023

> On Apr 3, 2023, at 11:58 PM, Richard Seguin <riseguin at earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> I have a new mini M2 Pro arriving soon, and I’m currently doing some housecleaning on my old one before I migrate.
>
> In usr/local/share/ghostscript I have 12 folders with names like 8.63, 9.07, and 9.53.3, and all of them seem to have similar contents. Folder 8.63 dates back to 2014. Can I safely delete all but the very latest — in this case, 9.53.3 — without damaging anything? I’m guessing that these are different versions, none of which has ever been deleted when a new version has been added.
>
> Since I still have TexLive 2021 on my old machine, I intend to migrate everything, including texmf-local but excluding texlive/2021, and then download and install 2023 after the migration.
>
> My old mini can’t be updated beyond Monterey, so this is the first time I’ll be doing a migration between two machines with different OS versions, so I’m a little nervous. I’m also nervous about whether or not I’ll once again have trouble with the scripts I use for typesetting.
>
> Richard Séguin

Howdy,

Sounds fine to me. I'm always nervous when migrating!

What kind of scripts are you using for typesetting? If you do things with Python you'll have to install a python interpreter. Also, the system will notify you and install Rosetta (technically it's Rosetta2) if you execute any software that's Intel only.

Enjoy your new system!!!

herbs2 at mac.com