[OS X TeX] Beyond split view: two pages

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at freemathtexts.org
Tue May 23 12:43:35 EDT 2023

> On May 22, 2023, at 20:26, Herbert Schulz via MacOSX-TeX <macosx-tex at email.esm.psu.edu> wrote:
>

>> On May 22, 2023, at 10:15 AM, Alain Schremmer <schremmer.alain at freemathtexts.org> wrote:
>>
>> Ok, how about “just" windows with three panes instead of two panes?
>>
>> Here is why:
>>
>> When I want to adjust what I am writing in subsection 7-1-4 with what I wrote in subsection 2-5-2, two panes are plenty enough.
>>
>> But, when I want to adjust what I am writing in subsection 7-1-4 with what I wrote in some subsection whose number ?-?-? I have forgotten, I use a detailed table of contents for the hunting which it would be nice to have in a pane 3 where I could look up various possibilities for ?-?-? each of which I could then look up in pane 2 against what I am writing in pane 1.
>>
>> Yeah, I know, you give them a hand and they want the whole arm.
>>
>> But that’s because I am using TeXShop a LOT so that the opus is becoming very MAGNUM.
>>
>> In any case, these days, just keep on trucking safely.
>> Very best,
>> —schremmer
>>

>>> On Jul 10, 2022, at 12:52, Alain Schremmer <schremmer.alain at freemathtexts.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> To insure consistency in the magnum opus, I use a lot the split page feature of TeXShop in both the source and the pdf.
>>>
>>> I am still on TeXShop 4.64 because I hate having to put up with changes I don’t think I need, but I sure wish TeXShop would go one step beyond the split view and be able to have more than just one window for each of the source and the pdf. (Screens are now large and cheap.)
>>>
>>> In any case, best, grateful regards,
>>> —schremmer
>>>

> Howdy,
>
> I guess I'm not sure you are talking about Preview or Source here.
>
> If you're talking about Preview open the second pane, scroll to the to the document (Cmd-Up Arrow) find the item you want in the TOC and click on it. To get to the TOC again press the Back key (left Triangle) and go back go the TOC.
>
> If you're talking about the Source I'm not sure what you mean by going to the TOC to find out where you want to go. If you download KeyBindings.zip from <https://herbs.github.io/> and install that you get a command (Ctl-X Space NOTE that's two key strokes)) that inserts a `mark' at the location of the cursor. Then move to where you want to be, edit, etc., and then (Ctl-X Ctl-M again two keystrokes) will take you to the original `mark' and place the `mark' where you were editing. PS: installing will also work in any text file that uses Apple's Text Framework; e.g., Mail.

That’s what I was doing but it’s a pain and something in what you wrote above somehow gave me an idea of how to use my particular setup: I can now have any number of pdf panes!!!! But, first, let me explain said setup.

In an overall folder for the book, I have three folders: Figures, StyleSheets, and Text.

In the Text folder, I have a very short control file for each chapter, e.g. 1.tex for chapter 1:

\documentclass[11pt]{book}
	\usepackage{../StyleSheets/Preamble}
	\usepackage{../StyleSheets/GraphicsPaths}
\begin{document}
	\addtocounter{chapter}{0}
	\addtocounter{page}{66}
	\startcontents[subsections]
\input{Text-contents/1.tex}
	\printindex
	\printcontents[subsections]{p-}{1}[2]
%===========NextLineMUSTbeBLANK===============

\end{document}

together with a subfolder called Text-contents in which I have a very long content file for each chapter, e.g. 1.tex for chapter 1:

\chapter{The Name Of Chapter One}\label{1-0-0}.
\ChapterToc
Blah blah blah ….

Then, Typeset on the content file gets me the pdf file, e.g. Typeset on 1.tex gives me 1.pdf

So, the idea was just to have a second control file for each content file, e.g. 1a.tex for chapter 1, which I keep in a corner of my screen and which, when I Typeset, gets me another pdf file from the same content file, e.g. 1a.pdf.

The only imperfect thing is that Control T produces only the first pdf, e.g. 1.pdf and I have to go Typeset in the corner of my screen to get the other pdf, e.g. 1a.pdf.

(I also have, of course, a book-wide control file to typeset whatever part of the whole book and I want but that's irrelevant here.)

Well, Schulz, I owe you another case of beer. When are you coming to pick them all up?

—schremmer