[OS X TeX] Where does the assumption that large counts are phone numbers arise?

William Slough wslough at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 21:01:55 EST 2024

Just to add another voice, it seems that this is Apple's way of being
"helpful."  It looks like this is caused by something they call "Data
Detectors" which can be toggled on or off, but only in some applications.
There is such a toggle in TeXShop under Edit | Substitutions but this
doesn't appear to have any effect within the PDF viewer.

Curiously, I get different behaviors in the PDF file produced by your MWE
depending on whether I use the TeXShop PDF viewer or separately open the
PDF file with Safari. With Safari, it still detects these numbers as phone
numbers but it doesn't start up FaceTime.

In the "misery loves company" department, there are more than a few people
on the Internet complaining about (seemingly) not being able to turn off
Data Detectors in Safari!

Bill Slough