[OS X TeX] Strangeness re IsoLatin9 and UTF-8 encodings

adawcr adawcrmb at gmail.com
Sat Feb 24 18:46:39 EST 2024

On February 22 I did the following.

In one directory I have a .tex file with all three permissions set to read only. I copied the file to another directory using the copy command. When I opened the file that was in the second directory I got the following popup:

[This file was opened with
 IsoLatin9 encoding.

 The file could not be opened with Unicode (UTF-8)
 encoding because it was not saved with that
 encoding. If you wish to open in another encoding,
 close the window and open again.]

Then I opened the first file, the one that I had just copied, but I did not get the popup.

I'm running TeXShop v.5.27 on a 2012 MacBook Pro with the Mojave OS. The first TeX file was started around January 23, 2024 and last edited on February 4. I updated TeXShop to v. 5.27 on, or shortly after February 12, and I'm wondering if that update I made to TeXShop was the cause of the popup. Otherwise, I don't know why the popup appeared.

I responded with  the OK button, and I was able to continue without any further problems.

Bill