Detecting whether included files are up to date

The official TeXShop Support Forum.

Detecting whether included files are up to date

Postby nathaniel » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:03 am

Hi there

A friend and I are both working on large documents (PhD theses) that are organised as a file that \includes several other documents as chapters. We are using the pdflatexmk engine. However, a problem seems to have arisen recently, perhaps in the latest version.

Previously, when changing one of the included files, pdflatexmk would correctly deduce that the pdf file was no longer up to date and re-compile. However, recently it quite often doesn't do this - you press 'typeset' and it just says something like "phd.pdf is up to date" in the console. The only way to force it to make a new pdf is to make a trivial change in the top-level tex file (the one that includes all the other files), which is quite inconvenient.

I hope someone can suggest a fix or workaround for this issue.

Nathaniel
nathaniel

Re: Detecting whether included files are up to date

Postby Herbert Schulz » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:31 pm

Howdy,

I haven't run into this but I think I've seen mention of it. I assume that each of the chapter files have

% !TEX root = path/to/root.tex

line so TeXshop `knows' which file to compile. What lind of changes are being made to the chapter file? You can try to clean up the auxiliary files and see if that makes the latexmk program compile the file.

I'll look into the problem further but a set of sample files that shows this behavior would certainly be welcome.
Good Luck,
Herb Schulz
Herbert Schulz

Re: Detecting whether included files are up to date

Postby Herbert Schulz » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:09 pm

Howdy,

The next time this happens could you possibly save the log file and let me have it. As I said, I've had a couple of other reports of behavior like this and reported them back to John Collins, the maintainer for latexmk.
Good Luck,
Herb Schulz
Herbert Schulz

Return to TeXShop (engl.)