source - preview keyboard shortcut

The official TeXShop Support Forum.

source - preview keyboard shortcut

Postby gerard » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:59 pm

After many years of using TeXShop, I finally realized the keyboard shortcut to switch from preview to source and back (yes, I'm very quick). It's fantastic! Unfortunately, after a few days of using it, the command + 1 combination no longer does anything. Am I missing something? Thanks,

-Gerard
gerard

Re: source - preview keyboard shortcut

Postby Herbert Schulz » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:54 pm

Howdy,

That shortcut only works if wither the Preview or Source window is active. If, e.g., the Console window is active it won't do anything since TeXShop doesn't ``know'' whether it should go to Source or Preview. If that isn't the case could you give me a sequence of keystrokes that shows this on a reasonably consistent basis? By the way, Source <==> Preview is a Window menu command.
Good Luck,
Herb Schulz
Herbert Schulz

Postby gerard » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:07 pm

Thanks for the reply, Herb. I was indeed referring to the case when either preview or source is active. And yes, I know there is a window menu command for switching between the two (this is how I found out about the keyboard shortcut), but if I can't use the keyboard shortcut, I find it quicker to just click directly on the preview or source window.

If that isn't the case could you give me a sequence of keystrokes that shows this on a reasonably consistent basis?

Sorry, but could you explain what you mean by this? The keystrokes that don't seem to work are the ones that appear in the window menu next to the "Source <--> Preview" item, namely command 1. It doesn't work in any document that I open, and this happens on both laptop and desktop.

-Gerard
gerard

Postby Herbert Schulz » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:14 pm

Howdy,

Does the Window->Source<==>Preview menu item show Cmd-1 as the shortcut? If not: then you have redefined the shortcut somewhere else (assigned to a macro or via System Preferences?). If so: try using that menu item ONCE and see if the shortcut works again. And please let me know the results.
Good Luck,
Herb Schulz
Herbert Schulz

Postby gerard » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:51 pm

The window menu "Source <-> Preview" item does indeed have command 1 next to it.

I tried using the menu item once (which works fine), and then the keyboard shortcut, but again no luck. I thought at first the problem would be one already mentioned by someone else on the list, since I'm working mostly on a document with a root file and several chapters linked to it via %!TEX root = root.tex, but I've tried it on other documents without root files and the problem remains.

-Gerard
gerard

Postby Herbert Schulz » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:24 pm

Howdy,

I kind of stumped. What version of TeXShop are you using and what version of OS X? Could you simply try to move ~/Library/Preferences/TeXShop.plist to the Desktop and restart TeXShop? (If that fixes things you'll have to reset all your Preferences.) You might also try to move ~/Library/TeXShop/Keyboard to the Desktop and restart TeXShop. Throwing ideas in the wind...
Good Luck,
Herb Schulz
Herbert Schulz

Postby gerard » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:17 pm

Herb,

I'm using version 2.37 of TeXShop and Mac OS 10.6.6. I moved the two files you suggested to the desktop and relaunched TeXShop, but unfortunately that did not solve the problem.

I noticed one rather strange file in ~/Library/Preferences, called TeXShop.LSSharedFileList.plist. Have no idea what it's for (but then the same is true of most of the other files that are there).

I do appreciate your help in trying to fix the problem, though. Best,

-Gerard
gerard

Postby Herbert Schulz » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:23 pm

Howdy,

That file just contains the list of files that appear in the File->Open Recent sub-menu so don't worry about them.

Are you using an English keyboard layout or something else? I'm just trying to isolate the problem since I certainly don't have the problem. And then the really silly question... you are using the Cmd, not Ctl, key. Please don't be insulted by that question.
Good Luck,
Herb Schulz
Herbert Schulz

Postby gerard » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:04 pm

Yes, I am using the English keyboard, and yes, I am using the Command, not the Control key. As I think I mentioned earlier, this happens on both my laptop and desktop. Am I cursed?

-Gerard
gerard

Postby Herbert Schulz » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:23 pm

Howdy,

I passed this on to Dick Koch, the author of TeXShop, so hopefully he'll be able to get back to you.

Does anything happen (a menu flash, anything) when you press Cmd-1 with either the Source or Preview window active? For testing purposes do this only with single file documents with both the Preview and Source window showing and one of the being active. I'm wondering if Cmd-1 is somehow bound to some other command on your system. Nothing unusual in System Preferences->Keyboard->Keyboard Shortcuts?
Good Luck,
Herb Schulz
Herbert Schulz

Return to TeXShop (engl.)