typesetting option

The official TeXShop Support Forum.

typesetting option

Postby trashyms » Fri May 20, 2011 12:07 am

Hello all !

I'm using Texshop since many years but I have (just) one question.
Is it possible to force texshop to trash .aux files before typesetting ?
Any preference to do this ?

Merci & Good night !
trashyms

Re: typesetting option

Postby Herbert Schulz » Sat May 21, 2011 7:24 pm

Howdy,

Not directly but there is the File->Trash Aux Files (Ctl-Cmd-A) menu command that will do that for you. So Ctl-Cmd-A and then the Typeset command of your choice will do what you want.

Of course it's also possible to write an engine to do that but I'd be a bit worried that I'd remove some files that I don't want to remove on a given run.
Good Luck,
Herb Schulz
Herbert Schulz

Postby markusS » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:47 pm

I often enough run into the issue that I compile, get an error (because my code contains an error), I correct what I think might be the error, compile again and still get an error.
At this point I either have to look at my code again or hit the trash aux files button and then compile again. I have to take a guess and without any other a priori knowledge it is 50:50 chance of choosing the right action path. Which means 50% of the time I likely will choose the wrong path and run the commands of trashing the aux files and compiling without solving the problem OR pore over my code without actually finding the issue (because there is none).

If there were a keyboard shortcut that would let me trash the aux files and compile with one invocation, eg, shift-ALT-cmd-L, it would make my life a little bit easier.
markusS

Postby Herbert Schulz » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:11 pm

Howdy,

It should always be safe to trash the aux files so I'm not sure why you need a choice. You can use Ctl-Cmd-A to trash the aux files and then Cmd-T to typeset the file again (at least if you use the line

% !TEX TS-program = pdflatex

at the top of the file if you want to use pdflatex---use latex instead of pdflatex for latex->dvips->distiller and xelatex instead of pdflatex to use xelatex). Not a single key stroke but not so horrible.
Good Luck,
Herb Schulz
Herbert Schulz

Return to TeXShop (engl.)