Broken Insert Reference

The official TeXShop Support Forum.

Broken Insert Reference

Postby psmythirl » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:16 pm

Insert Reference appears to be broken in TeXShop-64 running under Lion? My dock flashes briefly as if something opened and closed immediately. Anyone else seeing this?
psmythirl

Re: Broken Insert Reference

Postby Herbert Schulz » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:40 pm

Howdy,

Try to rename TeXShop-64 3.01 simply TeXShop and see if that fixes the problem. You can also update to TeXShop 3.02 which is called TeXShop.
Good Luck,
Herb Schulz
Herbert Schulz

Postby psmythirl » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:30 am

Hi Herb,

I've downloaded the new version (3.02) but the problem is still there. Same symptom as before, i.e. something opens for an instant in the dock and then closes again. The Insert Reference window never appears.
psmythirl

Postby Herbert Schulz » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:47 am

Howdy,

I assume you are referring to the Macro command. Unfortunately that one has been broken for a long time on my system and I never could figure out why. I'm very far from an Applescript programmer but I do know that each major OS update has changes in Applescript and some scripts break. You might ask on the Mac OS X TeX email list where there are some good Applescript programmers what may be able to help. More information about that list is in the message near the top of this forum.

For cross-references within a single file (what that macro did by default) I use the BibDesk completion function (which I also use for citation completion). Type the \ref{} and put the cursor between the braces. Then press the F5 key and a list of cross-references within that file will appear. Scroll to the one you want and press Return. You can make the list shorter by typing the start of a label: e.g., I start all figure labels with `fig:' (no quotes) so, if I'm looking for a figure cross-reference I'll type \ref{fig:} with the cursor after the : and press F5 to get a list of all the figure labels. (Actually what I do is type \r and Esc to use Command Completion and get \ref{•} [with the • selected], immediately type fig: which replaces the • with fig: and the type F5 to enter the figure label.)

Hope this helps.
Good Luck,
Herb Schulz
Herbert Schulz

Postby psmythirl » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:24 pm

Hi Herbert,

Thanks for that. It's strange that that macro hasn't been working for you, as, until now, it's worked perfectly for me and I've always updated both my system and my TeXShop versions as soon as new versions become available. Anyway, no matter, because all I really need is to see a list of my labels to determine the last one used and the BibDesk completion command does that for me. I'm curious though. I don't remember any mention of this feature being added but I could have missed it or not understood it's purpose. It doesn't appear to be discussed in the help files nor can I find an associated menu command. Is this some kind of hidden function? I presume from your comments that it isn't a macro but rather is a built-in feature. Is it possible to change the invoking keyboard command?
psmythirl

Postby Herbert Schulz » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:06 am

Howdy,

It really is strange and one reason I dislike Applescript. I have scripts that work fine for me (even with the update to Lion) that others can't run and visa versa. Have no idea why, etc. I dislike Applescript as a language and it's supposed to be a free form language but certainly doesn't understand what I say!

See TeXshop's Help->TeXShop Tips and Tricks which does give mention of this and other things that may surprise you. Unfortunately this does NOT work for a distributed document (e.g., on that uses \include{...}).

Glad this works for you.
Good Luck,
Herb Schulz
Herbert Schulz

Postby Benelli » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:55 am

Apple Script doesn't work, too with my TeXShop64 :-(

For cross-references within a single file (what that macro did by default) I use the BibDesk completion function (which I also use for citation completion). Type the \ref{} and put the cursor between the braces. Then press the F5 key and a list of cross-references within that file will appear. Scroll to the one you want and press Return. You can make the list shorter by typing the start of a label: e.g., I start all figure labels with `fig:' (no quotes) so, if I'm looking for a figure cross-reference I'll type \ref{fig:} with the cursor after the : and press F5 to get a list of all the figure labels. (Actually what I do is type \r and Esc to use Command Completion and get \ref{•} [with the • selected], immediately type fig: which replaces the • with fig: and the type F5 to enter the figure label.)

:-) good hint! Thanks!
Benelli

Postby texas_pete » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:50 am

I see the problem. Insert Reference no longer works for me either.
texas_pete

Postby smartCH » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:19 pm

Hi,

I have the same problem. (v. 3.04) Strange enough - when I copy the script code to the AppleScript editor and do run it from there it still works.

Autocomplete and F5 (or again Esc) is a good hint and works at least for single file documents.

Cheers,

Markus
smartCH

Postby Herbert Schulz » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:09 am

smartCH wrote:Hi,

I have the same problem. (v. 3.04) Strange enough - when I copy the script code to the AppleScript editor and do run it from there it still works.

Autocomplete and F5 (or again Esc) is a good hint and works at least for single file documents.

Cheers,

Markus
Howdy,

I'm not too familiar with that Macro (I tend to mostly have single file documents and have used F5 to get the cross-references working). Does it really allow you to do cross-references across multiple files?
Good Luck,
Herb Schulz
Herbert Schulz

Next

Return to TeXShop (engl.)