Full screen in Lion

The official TeXShop Support Forum.

Full screen in Lion

Postby pen15 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:21 pm

The Lion version works fine, thank you! But the full screen feature doesn't really make sense for me: the lines are much too wide, quite hard to keep in line. Perhaps it would be more comfortable to have both the preview and the editor on one screen.
pen15

Re: Full screen in Lion

Postby Herbert Schulz » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:38 am

Howdy,

I don't use full screen on a large screen; preferring the source and pdf side by side. However, on a 13" or smaller screen I think it could be wonderful. The source<->pdf sync will automatically switch screens. You can also use larger type for your source font (I'm getting old and so are my eyes) and magnify the pdf more in full screen. Finally, it can be wonderful when you are making a presentation.
Good Luck,
Herb Schulz
Herbert Schulz

Postby pen15 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:25 pm

Thank you!
Enlarging the source font type is a good idea and works fine for me. Nevertheless it might be useful to add a preference pane for adjusting the page width of the source in full screen mode.
pen15

Postby caminc » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:08 am

First of all, I want to thank everyone involved in the development of TeXShop for their amazing work. This app has become an indispensable part of my workflow and until recently I wouldn't really know how to make it better. A couple of days ago however, I stumbled upon an app called Texpad. Having tried out the demo version, I can report some features I believe are worthwhile considering for future TexShop versions:

1. Side-by-side source code and preview/output. When working on a larger screen, this is most comfortable and intuitive, especially using full-screen mode. It should be an option, but I think many users would like that option very much.
  2. Also, an option to permanently display a (source code) sidebar with all contents listed (i.e. sections, subsections, much like the preview window currently offers) would be a welcomed alternative to the current drop-down menu. These things (1 and 2) could all go into one window which would be ideal for full-screen.
  3. Finally, I very much liked the colors used in source code syntax highlighting. They were softer (pastel) and therefore more pleasing to the eye, yet effectively completing their task.

I think these features, offered as options, would make TeXShop even better. A short look into Texpad will probably illustrate better the points I try to make. TeXShop is certainly superior and cannot be replaced (for me, at least) but I think it can't hurt to look out for ways to improve, can it?.
caminc

Postby Herbert Schulz » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:26 am

caminc wrote:First of all, I want to thank everyone involved in the development of TeXShop for their amazing work. This app has become an indispensable part of my workflow and until recently I wouldn't really know how to make it better. A couple of days ago however, I stumbled upon an app called Texpad. Having tried out the demo version, I can report some features I believe are worthwhile considering for future TexShop versions:

1. Side-by-side source code and preview/output. When working on a larger screen, this is most comfortable and intuitive, especially using full-screen mode. It should be an option, but I think many users would like that option very much.
  2. Also, an option to permanently display a (source code) sidebar with all contents listed (i.e. sections, subsections, much like the preview window currently offers) would be a welcomed alternative to the current drop-down menu. These things (1 and 2) could all go into one window which would be ideal for full-screen.
  3. Finally, I very much liked the colors used in source code syntax highlighting. They were softer (pastel) and therefore more pleasing to the eye, yet effectively completing their task.

I think these features, offered as options, would make TeXShop even better. A short look into Texpad will probably illustrate better the points I try to make. TeXShop is certainly superior and cannot be replaced (for me, at least) but I think it can't hurt to look out for ways to improve, can it?.
Howdy,

Well, let's see…

Item 1) You can synchronize between source and preview by Cmd-Clicking at a point in either and going to (approximately) that point in the other.

Item 2) That would be interesting and others editors have offered… variations on the ``project'' theme too.

Item 3) You can change the color of commands, comments and symbols by using hidden preference variables. Please see Help->TeXShop Help Panel… and ask for Hidden Preferences. I use a medium gray for the comments and have changed the other colors to be a bit more pastel.

PS: is this a bit off topic?
Good Luck,
Herb Schulz
Herbert Schulz

Postby caminc » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:13 am

Thanks for your answer, Herb. Sorry I couldn't reply earlier.
is this a bit off topic?

Haha, that's right. I wanted to support pen15's point to have both the preview and the editor on one screen.
ad 1) Syncing just isn't the same, although it is of course immensely helpful. A single window for preview and code is simply better in some situations, that's why I would very much like to have that option.
ad 3) I didn't know about that, thanks a lot. I will try it out next week.
caminc

Postby Herbert Schulz » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:35 am

Howdy,

Now that I look at your Item 1 I'm suspecting that you mean that the Source and Preview windows share two panes in a single window. Do you also mean (I haven't tried TeXpad) that as you scroll the source/preview the other preview/source scroll in sync? I don't understand how that would work.

Assuming you mean only the first part you can easily simulate that behavior by setting the Source window position and size the way you want it and the choosing Source->Save Source Position. (You may have to set TeXShop->Preferences->Source->Source Window Position to `All windows start at fixed position'.) Then typeset the document and do a similar thing with the Preview window using the Preview->Save Preview Position and, possibly, a similar setting in the Preview Tab of TeXShop->Preferences. From then on the Source and Preview windows will have the same position and size.

If you don't like the Console window showing all the time set Show Console to `when error occurs' in the TeXShop->Preference->Console Tab. You might want to play with TeXShop->Preferences->Typesetting->After Typesetting.
Good Luck,
Herb Schulz
Herbert Schulz

Postby Schmiri » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:00 pm

Hi,

I would strongly approve to caminc's suggestion No. 1! Having two panes in one window would be absolutely great, especially with Lion's fullscreen mode. While Herbert's trick definitely helps (thanks for that!) its still not the same as one window that doesn't require positioning an scaling all the time...

The source <-> preview thing doesn't work for me because I'm working on a project with multiple files and TeXShop always jumps to the main file, not the file that I'm currently working at. So while fullscreen is an amazing feature that helps focusing on your work, is currently not usable for me.

I would be glad if you consider it. Thanks a lot for your work with TeXShop!

Alex
Schmiri

Postby Herbert Schulz » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:50 am

Schmiri wrote:Hi,

I would strongly approve to caminc's suggestion No. 1! Having two panes in one window would be absolutely great, especially with Lion's fullscreen mode. While Herbert's trick definitely helps (thanks for that!) its still not the same as one window that doesn't require positioning an scaling all the time...

The source <-> preview thing doesn't work for me because I'm working on a project with multiple files and TeXShop always jumps to the main file, not the file that I'm currently working at. So while fullscreen is an amazing feature that helps focusing on your work, is currently not usable for me.

I would be glad if you consider it. Thanks a lot for your work with TeXShop!

Alex
Howdy,

If it requires continuous repositioning and rescaling you aren't doing what I told you to do. Set the source file window the way you wish and the preview window the way you wish. Then use the Source->Save Source Position and Preview->Save Preview Position commands and from then on the Source and Preview windows will always be in the same place and the same size.

Place the line

% !TEX root = path/to/root.tex

at the top of each of the \included or \input files. Here path/to/root.tex is the relative path from the ``input'' file to the root.tex file. Please let me know if that works. Then you can compile the document from within a subsidiary file and sync should work in either direction Source<->Preview. please let me know if this doesn't solve your problem. There may be other changes needed if you have been using TeXShop for a long time (i.e. it may be necessary to update some engines/scripts).
Good Luck,
Herb Schulz
Herbert Schulz

Postby Schmiri » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:38 am

Hey Herb,

thanks for your reply. I'm sorry if I was a bit unclear: Saving the position works perfectly fine, it only gets confusing when I work with multiple documents. I used TeXShop for writing papers over the past few years but now that I started writing my dissertation, which is divided in multiple files for each chapter, I get more and more lost. I tried spreading the documents over different Spaces, but I always end up searching the right window in Exposé...

Also, Sync works fine but navigating with cmd-1 between source and preview will bring me to the main document.

However, please don't see this as criticism, I really like the minimalistic approach of TeXShop! I just wanted to add my experience when I read caminc's post :)

Regards,
Alex
Schmiri

Next

Return to TeXShop (engl.)