marginpar not wrapping text

The official TeXShop Support Forum.

marginpar not wrapping text

Postby mosher » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:58 pm

I just upgraded to 2.43 from a much earlier version, and in this version \marginpar is not wrapping text correctly. It does wrap text, but it seems to do so using a value of the parameter \marginparwidth that is much, much larger than the width of the margin itself. I tried manually resetting \marginparwidth in my preamble, but that had no effect. I did find a workaround where I can embed a \parbox command inside the \marginpar, setting the first argument of the \parbox command (the width of the parbox) to be somewhat less than the margin width, and that worked ok.
mosher

Re: marginpar not wrapping text

Postby Herbert Schulz » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:32 pm

Howdy,

I don't see how TeXShop can change the way marginpar operates since that behavior is controlled by your TeX distribution, not TeXshop.

Your best bet to get help with your problem is on the Mac OS X TeX e-mail list. You can get more information about that list in a message near the top of this forum.

Finally, there is no way anyone here can help you without a minimal but compilable example that demonstrates the bad behavior. Please place the line

\listfiles

before your \documentclass commands (I assume you are using LaTeX here) and include a copy of your log file from your typeset session. You should also state what TeX distribution you are using, what OS version you are using and how you are typesetting the document.
Good Luck,
Herb Schulz
Herbert Schulz

Postby mosher » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:50 pm

I think I tracked down the problem. My source file had the line

\usepackage{pdfsync}

which I believe was required by my ancient TeXshop/teTeX installation, in order to synchronize the source and .pdf files. I was preparing a stripped down file as you suggested, and that line was the very, very last thing I removed. Upon removal, the problem went away.

Just for the sake of completing the story, my new installation of TeXshop was part of a full TeXshop/TeX Live installation which I did from http://pages.uoregon.edu/koch/texshop/obtaining.html. I am running this on a Macbook Pro under system 10.6.8.

Here's the final stripped down file, with the offending line commented out:

\documentclass[11pt]{article}
%\usepackage{pdfsync}

\begin{document}

\marginpar{blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah}
Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
\end{document}
mosher

Postby Herbert Schulz » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:06 am

Howdy,

That was one of the ``features'' of the old pdfsync package. Too often the formatting is changed by its use. In newer TeX Distributions pdftex and latex have a built-in sync method that produces a .synctex.gz file that is used by TeXShop to synchronize between Source and PDF.
Good Luck,
Herb Schulz
Herbert Schulz

Return to TeXShop (engl.)