Multiple directories in path?

The official TeXShop Support Forum.

Multiple directories in path?

Postby bovilexic » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:54 pm

Hi -

Sorry for asking what is probably a very naive question as my first post... :-)

I am writing a book with TeX, and so have a nested directory structure containing the tex files, artwork, etc. I also have an additional directory containing tex files, which are not part of the sources for the book, but which "implement" various functions in plain TeX, which are used to format my book.

I've searched around, and have seen advice that one has to specify the path in

~/.MacOSX/environment.plist

Is this still the case, or is there an updated method (set environment variables in one's bash profile, something in the TeXShop preferences...)? If that plist file is still the correct way to go, can someone point me to a recent example of the syntax?

Thanks, and again sorry for the n00b question...

- Philip
bovilexic

Re: Multiple directories in path?

Postby Herbert Schulz » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:50 pm

Howdy,

The structure of what path?

The worst place to specify a path of any kind is in the environment.plist file. We've had too many problems which were very difficult to figure out because of that.

Can you let me know about the structure of this directory structure? If you have a root file that \include's or \input's other files that are in sub-directories of the root file's directory things should work ok. If you are using personal .tex or .sty files you can place them in ~/Library/texmf/tex/generic/ (~/Library/ is the Library folder in your HOME folder) and you may have to create the texmf folder and the sub-folders).

I need more information.

Finally, this really has nothing to do with TeXShop but rather with how your TeX distribution deals with file locations and how you structure your distributed document. You can get more help by joining the Mac OS X TeX e-mail list; more information about that is in a message near the top of this forum.
Good Luck,
Herb Schulz
Herbert Schulz

Re: Multiple directories in path?

Postby bovilexic » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:26 am

Hi -

Thanks for the response. Interesting comment regarding the environment.plist file - that's basically why I asked...it seems a little peculiar and un-TeX-like. In any case, I did manage to find the docs that recommend your same advice about just locating the files in question in my ~/Library/texmf/tex, and it all seems to be working as expected.

Also thanks for the pointer to the Mac OS X email list...probably come in handy :-)

-- Philip
bovilexic

Return to TeXShop (engl.)