Engines do not appear in Typeset menu

The official TeXShop Support Forum.

Engines do not appear in Typeset menu

Postby astrorocks » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:09 pm

I tried to add a custom typesetting engine to the appropriate place (Library/TeXShop/Engines/) and made it executable. However this engine doesn't appear as a typesetting option in TexShop (either in the drop down Menu or the preferences).

Moreover the XeLatex engines that came with my TexShop distribution in the Engines folder do not appear either. I checked that my PATH includes /usr/texbin and I added Library/TeXShop/Engines to be complete. Still no luck though.

I am using TexShop 2.43 on OSX 10.6.8. Any advice appreciated.
astrorocks

Re: Engines do not appear in Typeset menu

Postby Herbert Schulz » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:31 pm

Howdy,

Only the basic, built-in engines appear in the Typeset Menu. The full engine list can be seen in the popup menu on the Source or Preview toolbar. See the `TeXShop Tips & Tricks' document for an illustration (Help->TeXShop Tips and Tricks).

The easiest way to use any of those ``extra'' engines is to place the line

% !TEX TS-program = engine-name

where `engine-name' is the name of the engine as shown in that popup menu (i.e., without the .engine extension).
Good Luck,
Herb Schulz
Herbert Schulz

Postby astrorocks » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:31 pm

Only the basic, built-in engines appear in the Typeset Menu. The full engine list can be seen in the popup menu on the Source or Preview toolbar. See the `TeXShop Tips & Tricks' document for an illustration (Help->TeXShop Tips and Tricks).

Thanks. That (!TEX TS-program = ...) works. And from "Tips & Tricks" I see that the "Program" Macro gives the full list of engines and inserts the text. You mentioned the source and preview menus. I actually don't see anything in those (?), but it doesn't matter I guess.

Perhaps I should mention that what I'm trying to do is a "pdflatex, bibtex, 2*pdflatex" in one go. The solution I found here http://griechenzicken.blogspot.com/2011/02/texshop-and-bibtex-for-lazy-guys.html is a .engine file containing:
Code: Select all
#!/bin/bash
pdflatex "$1"
for file in *.aux ; do
bibtex $file
done
pdflatex "$1"
pdflatex "$1"

So this works for me, but I'd be curious if there's an easier way I missed.
astrorocks

Postby Herbert Schulz » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:18 pm

astrorocks wrote:

Thanks. That (!TEX TS-program = ...) works. And from "Tips & Tricks" I see that the "Program" Macro gives the full list of engines and inserts the text. You mentioned the source and preview menus. I actually don't see anything in those (?), but it doesn't matter I guess.
Not the Source and Preview Menu but rather the popup menu on the TOOLBAR in the Source or Preview Window.
Perhaps I should mention that what I'm trying to do is a "pdflatex, bibtex, 2*pdflatex" in one go. The solution I found here http://griechenzicken.blogspot.com/2011/02/texshop-and-bibtex-for-lazy-guys.html is a .engine file containing:
Code: Select all
#!/bin/bash
pdflatex "$1"
for file in *.aux ; do
bibtex $file
done
pdflatex "$1"
pdflatex "$1"

So this works for me, but I'd be curious if there's an easier way I missed.
That is better done by the pdflatexmk engine mentioned in the last section of `TeXShop Tips & Tricks'. That engine automates the whole process of running pdflatex multiple times with runs of bibtex and/or makeindex in between. That section of the document tells you how to activate (install) that engine as well as how to use it. I think you'll like it! (Works with multiple bibliographies and indexes as well as the glossaries package, etc.)
Good Luck,
Herb Schulz
Herbert Schulz

Return to TeXShop (engl.)