Unicode error for No Break Space character

The official TeXShop Support Forum.

Unicode error for No Break Space character

Postby Martin » Thu May 03, 2012 4:10 pm

Hi...
I noticed that sometimes I do get an compile error with my tex files, with the log showing:

! Package inputenc Error: Unicode char \u8:  not set up for use with LaTeX.

This happens for copy and paste texts and also when typing accidentally "Alt + Space" instead of "Space", which results in the hex code 0xc2a0 instead of 0x20, the so called "No Break Space" instead of the good old whitespace.

Anyone knows a way how to disable that nasty whitespace like symbol? I guess I should do a feature request, do the programmers follow this discussion? Herbert?
:)

Best regards,
Martin
Martin

Re: Unicode error for No Break Space character

Postby Herbert Schulz » Thu May 03, 2012 4:24 pm

Howdy,

You might try to add a Key Binding of a plain space if you happen to add the no-break space. Open the Key Bindings editor (Source->Key Bindings->Edit Key Bindings File…); press the no-break space as the input and the space as the output; then add it to the list (press +) and Save. Can't guarantee that will work but give it a try.

The standard LaTeX support for unicode is very incomplete so it's no surprise that you'll run into problems with a compile when you use those undefined characters.

Oh… of course this problem really has nothing to do with TeXShop directly but rather how the underlying TeX distribution handles unicode (or whatever other encoding you are using).
Good Luck,
Herb Schulz
Herbert Schulz

Return to TeXShop (engl.)