[OS X Emacs] Re: opening old mac files (CR end of line char)

David Reitter david.reitter at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 19:51:30 EST 2007

On 5 Dec 2007, at 21:05, xah lee wrote:

>> You should write a good bug report to mailto:emacs-pretest-bug at gnu.org
>> , possibly with a copy to mailto:help-gnu-emacs at gnu.org – your two
>> points are sensible enough.
>

> This i consider a propaganda.
> I have written a somewhat detailed account on my opinion on this
> issues. You please see:
>
> The Bug-Reporting Attitude

> There is a common behavior among people in software geek forums,
> that whenever a software is crashing or behaving badly, they respond
> by “go file a bug report” as if it is the duty of software consumers.

I mean, much can be said about software developer's attitude towards
taking responsibility for their own code, but it's a fact of life that
software contains bugs, and the fewer people are involved in reviewing
code, the more bugs there will be.

You, as a general user, use software that is being provided free of
charge, by people spending a lot of their own time.
What do you bring to the table?

Your requests for changes are duly appreciated, but in general, what
users can contribute to the software is to file good bug reports. It
takes up a lot of time to read bug reports, reproduce them with a
minimal case and trace them to the module that's causing it, and then
formulating a useful bug report to the Emacs engineers that can then
deal with it.

If you've got a bug to report of suggestion to make, even if it's as a
result of the discussion on this list, then please formulate it in the
appropriate forum to the best of your abilities. You don't even have
to engage in the subsequent discussion.

I don't think that's too much to ask.

http://aquamacs.org/donate -- Could we help you? Return the favor and
support the Aquamacs Project!