[OS X Emacs] support for DefaultKeyBinding.dict

xah lee xah at xahlee.org
Fri Dec 14 02:59:29 EST 2007

It seems to me that both Carbon Emacs and Aquamacs does not support
OS X's keybinding customization scheme?

Here's what to do:

create a file
  ~/Library/KeyBindings/DefaultKeyBinding.dict
(create the dir if it doesn't exist)

In the file, put the following:

{
"~a" = ("insertText:", "\U03B1"); /* α */
}

save the file. Now, if you relaunch Mail (or TextEdit or Xcode), then
type Option+a, a greek α char should be inserted. However, no effect
with Carbon Emacs or Aquamacs.

I think perhaps this is something Aquamacs should do?

PS about DefaultKeyBinding.dict, recently i took a day to study it.
Pls see
Mac OS X Keybinding and Unicode Tips
http://xahlee.org/emacs/osx_keybinding.html

   Xah