[OS X Emacs] how to determine file encoding

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Wed Nov 14 14:50:58 EST 2007

Am 14.11.2007 um 16:45 schrieb Dirk Schlimm:

> I received some text files and now I'd like to know how they are
> encoded (UTF-8, Latin9, etc.). Is there a simple way of finding this
> out?

Yes: visit the files and change the encoding as long as you can see
rubbish. When the text appears clean and readable, then you've found
a useful encoding.

Putting it in other words: there is no reliable way. The UNIX command
file can help a bit, the file name's extension can be helpful, too.

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

Without vi there is only GNU Emacs