[OS X Emacs] Setting tab width on Aqua Emacs

Thomas Käufl kaeufl at ira.uka.de
Wed Apr 2 17:34:55 EDT 2008

Hi,

Am 2. Apr 2008 um 21:10 schrieb Kailas Ramasamy:
> Hi,
>
> How do I set up tab width to 4 on all modes? I tired to set it up
> globally in
> ~/Library/Preferences/Aquamacs Emacs/Preferences.el as follows but
> it doesn't work
>
> (setq tab-width 4)

The tab key has some "intelligent" behaviour. It moves the cursor
to that column where the previous line has a blank. When you move
the cursor using the arrow keys over spaces inserted by use of
the tab key you should see a leaping cursor. The width of the
leaps is equal to the ta width.

In my preferences file I use

(custom-set-variables '(tab-width 4))

and this works.