[OS X Emacs] Problems with spell-checker

Nathaniel Cunningham nathaniel.cunningham at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 12:57:34 EDT 2008

If you've installed the German dictionary according to the Cocoaspell
instructions linked from the Aquamacs spelling webpage, then running the
Cocoaspell "Spelling" prefpane should do the required compilation (producing
a .rws from your .cwl)

(Note that for non-CocoaSpell installs of aspell, you'll have to compile the
binary version yourself, according to the instructions in the readme with
your downloaded dictionary.)

Once you've done that, selecting "deutsch" via edit-->spelling-->change
dictionary should give you the german dictionary.

Switching back to english will be problematic; right now, Aquamacs only
looks for Cocoaspell dictionaries in the first directory (alphabetically)
within /Library/Application Support/cocoAspell. If you have de-something and
en-something dictionaries installed, only the deutsch set will be seen.

There's much discussion of this issue in the following thread:
http://email.esm.psu.edu/pipermail/macosx-emacs/2008-March/000317.html

I have figured out how to greatly improve Aquamacs' integration with
CocoaSpell, such that it will  find all your installed dictionaries and
provide them (and only them!) as options when changing dictionaries.  I
still have to figure out how to build this code into Aquamacs for
distribution.  Hopefully this will be available in another week or two.

For the moment, I recommend creating a new folder in /Library/Application
Support/cocoAspell that will come before all others alphabetically, and add
to it symbolic links to the dictionaries (rws files) you're interested in
using.  Let me know how this works for you.

--Nathaniel