[OS X Emacs] Switching from Carbon Emacs to Emacs.app

Lindsay Stirton Lindsay.Stirton at manchester.ac.uk
Tue Jan 8 08:24:47 EST 2008

Dear OS X emacs users,

Since I was not getting anywhere with AUCTeX, I decided to try and solve some
easier problems, albeit ones less critical to my immediate work, in the hope
that the learning experience would get me up to speed so that I could
hopefully
solv the AUCTeX problem.

1. Emacs speaks statistics -- success!

Installed into /Library/Application\ Support/emacs

Put this in my .emacs:

;;Load ESS -- this works!!
(defun load-local-ess-site (ess-site-directory)
"Load ess-site.el from a given ess-site directory"
(let ((current-default-directory default-directory))
(setq default-directory ess-site-directory)
(normal-top-level-add-subdirs-to-load-path)
  (setq default-directory current-default-directory)
  (setq load-path (cons ess-site-directory load-path))
   (load (concat ess-site-directory "/ess-site.el"))
    ))
  (load-local-ess-site "/Library/Application Support/emacs/ess-5.3.6/lisp")

(require 'ess-site)
(require 'essd-jags)

I adapted this code from Enrico Franconi's instructions for installing
enhanced-carbon emacs. I gather this script adds the location of
ess-site.el to
the load-path. Like I said, it works, but is this the best way to go about
this?

2. imaxima - partial success!

A problem is that I have maxima 5.14.0 installed from source but a while ago I
installed Macports' maxima 5.13.0 . Following the instructions on the imaxima
site I put the following in my .emacs

;; Maxima -- doesn't work!
(push "/usr/local/bin" exec-path)
(push "/usr/texbin" exec-path)
(push "/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp" load-path)
(push "/usr/local/share/maxima/5.14.0/emacs" load-path)
(autoload 'imaxima "imaxima" "Frontend for maxima with image support" t)
(autoload 'maxima "maxima" "Frontend for maxima" t)

When I type M-x imaxima, I get the following:

/usr/local/bin/maxima: line 141: exec: sbcl: not found

However, when I go into M-x shell I get the following:

bash-3.2$ maxima
Maxima 5.13.0 http://maxima.sourceforge.net
Using Lisp SBCL 1.0.12
Distributed under the GNU Public License. See the file COPYING.
Dedicated to the memory of William Schelter.
This is a development version of Maxima. The function bug_report()
provides bug reporting information.
(%i1)

which maxima gives /opt/local/bin//maxima

The same command in Terminal gives /usr/local/bin/maxima (and maxima 5.14.0
starts OK in Terminal).

So I assume that I have to 'tell' imaxima the path to maxima 5.14.0
and/or SBCL.
How do I do this?

3. AUCTeX. I seem to have managed to install AUCTeX after following Pete
Dyballa's advice, but have not yet got it to work (not at all, never mind
Preview). Will report back later once I have done my homework.

Best wishes (and thanks to all)

Lindsay Stirton