[OS X Emacs] Re: Viper error? Error in pre-command-hook: (error viper-event-key: Wrong type argument...

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Wed Jan 16 17:14:00 EST 2008

Rodney Sparapani wrote:
> This must be an error in Viper.  In both Aquamacs and Emacs.app, I often
> get an error something like:
> Error in pre-command-hook: (error viper-event-key: Wrong type argument,
> eventp, "cochran.tex")
>
> Is anyone else seeing this?
>
> In .emacs, I have:
> (setq viper-mode t)
> (setq-default viper-ex-style-editing nil)
> (require 'viper)
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

This is caused by the first (error ...) call in viper-event-key in
viper-util.el which signals when an "event" is issued that is not really
an event; in this case, a buffer name string.  Of course, this "event"
came from somewhere else, but I couldn't track it down.  Mainly because
setting debug-on-error never produces a backtrace for these errors?!?
So, I just replaced the (error ...) call with (setq event t).  No idea,
what I did, but I haven't seen the error since, but I'll keep looking.

Rodney