[OS X Emacs] Aquamacs question: disable/rename backup files?

David Reitter david.reitter at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 15:23:53 EST 2008

On 22 Jan 2008, at 20:17, skip at pobox.com wrote:

> recover-session.  To have Emacs put them someplace more convenient,
> set
> auto-save-directory.  If not set (the default) auto-save files go in
> the
> same directory as the file they are tracking.

Don't know that variable and my Emacs doesn't know it, but Aquamacs sets
`auto-save-list-file-prefix' to "~/Library/Preferences/Aquamacs Emacs/
auto-save-list/.saves-" by default.

That seems to do the job.

Auto-save-mode is usually only enabled by the user, so this is alright.

However, the problem with routing all backups to such a location would
be that potentially confidential files being edited on a temporarily
mounted volume would effectively be copied to that location. This
reminds me of the cases where people leave "change tracking" on in MS
Word, and then distribute the .doc file.

http://aquamacs.org/donate -- Could we help you? Return the favor and
support the Aquamacs Project!