[OS X Emacs] Information about tabs in Aquamacs 1.4

David Reitter david.reitter at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 07:28:40 EDT 2008

On 18 Jul 2008, at 02:05, Robert Morelli wrote:

> This needs to be thought out carefully, of course, but I think
> almost any scheme would be better than the current implementation
> that has no customization. At a minimum, I think some kind of simple
> filtering is essential. For instance, I would be happy to have
> the ability to suppress all buffers that start with *, except when
> you actually visit them.

  Nathaniel's question remains: where are these buffers displayed in
not in the current window? In a new frame? In a new window within the
current frame?

> As it stands, most of the real estate on the tab bar is taken up by
> tabs for buffers generated by emacs, like *Messages*, *Completions*,
> ... Each LaTeX file I'm editing has one or more such buffers
> associated with it ... I consider those at best marginally useful.
> Really, I'd
> like to get rid of them.

Apple-W removes the buffer and the tab.

> One idea would be to have a hierarchical structure imposed on the
> buffers and use that to do some reasonable filtering of what appears
> in the
> tab bar. For instance, TeX output buffers would be subordinate to
> the associated LaTeX buffers you're actually editing. Generally,
> only top
> level things should be the the tab bar. To get to a subordinate tab,
> you first choose it's top level ancestor. Then do something to drill
> down.

How would this map onto the underlying API used by various packages,
i.e. pop-to-buffer, switch-to-buffer, bury-buffer and so on?

http://aquamacs.org/donate -- Could we help you? Return the favor and
support the Aquamacs Project!