[OS X Emacs] synctex in Aquamacs

Joseph C. Slater PE, PhD joseph.slater at wright.edu
Mon Jul 28 15:54:21 EDT 2008

On Jul 28, 2008, at 3:41 PM, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 28.07.2008 um 21:08 schrieb Joseph C. Slater PE, PhD:
>
>> I have to admit that I've don't this kind of thing before, but I'm
>> concerned that an update would wipe out a change in such a file. I
>> was hoping this was a "preferences" way that would probably be be
>> maintained between versions, and easier for a lisp ignoramus like
>> me. I'm sure there is one, but I didn't find the path to see
>> 'pdflatex' to 'pdflatex --synctex'. I'm sure it's in there...
>> somewhere.
>
> I can't use Aquamacs Emacs, because it's doing weird things with my
> ELisp repository, so I'm not aware of any changes, except that David
> Reitter wrote in the Aqua Emacs.app list that PLIST should better be
> avoided to stay compatible with other systems. Could be the change
> has already happened for you – before November 4th.

I don't know.

> You don't need to know much of ELisp and you never should change
> ELisp files in the Emacs distribution. There are two alternatives:
> set something to the correct value in your init file (usually
> ~/.emacs) or use the customisation interface. Available from Options
> -> Customize Emacs. TeX-command-list is a Specific Option. And
> miraculously you can paste the variable's name for example into the
> *scratch* buffer, leave the cursor in the name, and then choose from
> the menu Options -> Customize Emacs -> Specific Option. Now a simple
> RET is sufficient.
>
> BTW, once you've saved your changes (they should go into ~/.emacs)
> you have a slight chance to edit this customisation in the init
> file ...

I've created some disasters in my .emacs files before and mostly
stopped putzing with it by hand, due to my propensity to reinvent the
wheel, make is square, etc. I'll dig through later.

I haven't gotten synctex to do what is should with skim anyhow (when
using it from the command line). Apparently it's executed with
pdflatex -synctex=# filename.tex
synctex works if # is not zero. However, the generated pdflatex file
does not end up synchronizable from Skim as pdfsync was. I haven't
seen documentation explaining if there is a different setting, etc. It
is stated as supported in 1.1.9, though. I think I should wait until
things settle a little bit and are working better.

> How did you integrate the synctex option before? Are you aware of
> the difference between Emacs' native (La)TeX mode and AUCTeX's
> offerings?

I am aware of AucTeX's vastly superior capabilities from a user
perspective, but I don't recall what the differences are. I remember
looking years ago and thinking that not using AucTeX would be crazy.