[OS X Emacs] getting rid of GNUS alert boxes

Art Werschulz agw at comcast.net
Sun Mar 16 13:02:13 EDT 2008

Hi.

Using GNU Emacs 22.1.91.2 (powerpc-apple-darwin7.9.0, Carbon Version
1.6.0) of 2008-02-23 on applecore.inf.ed.ac.uk - Aquamacs
Distribution 1.3 ...

Suppose that I'm in a *Summary ...* buffer, which lists the subjects
(etc.) of the currently-selected newsgroup.  The command gnus-summary-
catchup-and-exit is bound to the keystroke "c".  When I issue this
command, I am asked for confirmation (i.e., a msg of the form "Mark
all unread articles as read?").

This msg appears in one of two places:
(1) Sometimes it appears in the minibuffer.  A "y/n" response is
expected.
(2) Sometimes it appears in an alert box, and a button needs to pressed.
I'm not sure what the conditions are that make one happen, rather
than the other.

At any rate, I would prefer scenario (1).  How do I make this
happen?  I suspect that there is some variable somewhere to do this.
Since there are 561 lines' worth of variables matching the pattern
"gnus-", I thought that I should ask this list to see if somebody
already knows the answer.

Many thanks.

Art Werschulz (8-{)}   "Metaphors be with you."  -- bumper sticker
GCS/M (GAT): d? -p+ c++ l u+(-) e--- m* s n+ h f g+ w+ t++ r- y?
Internet: agw STRUDEL comcast.net