[OS X Emacs] cocoAspell and Aquamacs 1.3a

José Miguel Figueroa-O'Farrill j.m.figueroa at ed.ac.uk
Wed Mar 19 09:44:29 EDT 2008

On 19 Mar 2008, at 13:01, Johannes Brauer wrote:

> Am 19.03.2008 um 02:22 schrieb José Miguel Figueroa-O'Farrill:
>

>> On 16 Mar 2008, at 17:49, Johannes Brauer wrote:
>>
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> I have installed cocoAspell with 2 dictionaries in /Library/
>>> Application\ Support/cocoAspell/ : aspell6-de-20030222-1 and
>>> aspell6-en-6.0-0/.
>>>
>>> Setting the dictionary to "deutsch", all works fine. But trying
>>> to activate the english dictionary  I get the following error
>>> message:
>>>
>>> Starting new Ispell process [english] ...
>>> ad-Orig-error: Error: The file "/Library/Application Support/
>>> cocoAspell/aspell6-de-20030222-1/english" can not be opened for
>>> reading.
>>>
>>> Apparently, the dictionary is searched in the wrong directory.
>>> But I don't know why. I think this problem was discusssed in a
>>> thread initiated by Alex Hamann, but I have not find any solution.
>>
>> What is the value of 'ispell-aspell-dict-dir'?
> /usr/local/lib/aspell-0.60
>> In my set-up it's '/opt/local/share/aspell'.
>> This is the target of a symbolic link from '/Library/Application
>> Supprt/cocoAspell/aspell' where I have put all the dictionaries;
>> that is, the *.alias, *.rws, *.multi and *.afm files.  Your
>> mileage may vary, but this works for me.
>
> /Library/Application Support/cocoAspell contains 2 dictionaries:
> aspell6-de-20030222-1/
> aspell6-en-6.0-0/
>
> The de dictionary is found there. But I cannot switch to the en dict.
>
> Johannes

Am I right in assuming that /usr/local/lib/aspell-0.60 is a link to /
Library/Application Support/cocoAspell ?

The way I see it, you have two options.

1) Put all the dictionaries in the same directory, for example from
the command line

cd /Library/Application\ Support/cocoAspell
sudo mkdir aspell
sudo cp */*.{rws,multi,afm} aspell/

and change the value of 'ispell-aspell-dict-dir' to reflect the new
location: /Library/Application\ Support/cocoAspell/aspell.

2) Depending on how you switch dictionaries in *macs, you can also
tell it to change also 'ispell-aspell-dict-dir' to where the relevant
files are located.

I can provide more details if you'd want me to.

Cheers, José