[OS X Emacs] cocoAspell and Aquamacs 1.3a

Nathaniel Cunningham nathaniel.cunningham at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 11:06:59 EDT 2008

The trouble right now is that the function
aquamacs--configure-aspell ,
defined in aquamacs.el, sets aspell's dict-dir as the following:

(car ;; use the first subdir in that path
         (file-expand-wildcards
            "/Library/Application Support/cocoAspell/aspell*"))

As the comment says, only the first directory listed by
file-expand-wildcards is used.  The files will be listed in alphabetical
order (with caps all coming before lowercase).  So aspell-de* always gets
selected in preference to aspell-en*.

I have been researching this a bit, and will be implementing a better
interface for Aquamacs to properly use cocoAspell dictionaries.  I hope that
will be ready in a few weeks.

In the meantime, your best bet may be to copy the entire function definition
for (aquamacs-configure-aspell) from /Applications/Aquamacs
Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/aquamacs.el
to your Preferences.el, and modify that to suit your needs.  To use the
second alphabetically-listed dict-dir in ~/Library/Application
Support/cocoAspell/, you can change
(car ;; use the first subdir in that path
(nth 1 ;; use the second subdir in that path

Similarly, '(nth 0' will give the first subdir, '(nth 2' will give the 3rd,
'(nth x' will give x+1 in order.

I know this is quite a kludge, but I hope the problem and a stopgap fix are
clear.  I will try to provide a much better solution soon.

--Nathaniel