[OS X Emacs] double messages at startup

David Reitter david.reitter at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 13:35:57 EDT 2008

On 31 Mar 2008, at 17:17, Uwe Nestmann wrote:

>>> When running Aquamacs insists on inhibit-startup-screen being set
>>> to "t", telling it would be set in "startup.el".  Is this the
>>> intended behavior?
>>
>> where does it say that this "would be set in startup.el"?
>
> For example, after "C-h v inhibit-startup-message".

On my machine, it only says "inhibit-startup-screen is a variable
defined in `startup.el'."
Is that what you're getting?
If so, how exactly does that imply that one would set it there?

As it stands, it says it's defined there, which is truthful.

It also says that it is customizable: "You can customize this variable."

Now, setting it to `nil' does not bring back  the startup screen, but
if you're logically precise, the documentation doesn't state that
there is a startup screen if that variable is set to nil.  It just
says that the screen is inhibited if it's non-nil.

Of course, this is a little awkward and will not be what people
expect, and I would change it.  This requires some hacking on the
Emacs side of things (in startup.el), but I think it could be done
fairly easily.

- D

http://aquamacs.org/donate -- Could we help you? Return the favor and
support the Aquamacs Project!