[OS X Emacs] email with emacs?

David Reitter david.reitter at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 13:57:21 EST 2008

Skip,

On 21 Nov 2008, at 13:25, skip at pobox.com wrote:

>    Jose> Actually the version in wonderworks is Kyle Jones' latest
> version
>    Jose> (7.19), but he stopped actively maintaining VM.  The new
>    Jose> maintainer is Robert Widhopf-Fenk and the latest VM is to
> be found
>    Jose> here:
>
>    Jose>              http://www.nongnu.org/viewmail/
>
>    Jose> under "Downloads".  The latest stable version seems to be
> 8.0.12.
>
> So I downloaded and unpacked 8.0.12.  Given Aquamacs' unfamiliar (to
> me)
> file layout under "/Applications/Aquamacs Emacs.app" I can't figure
> out how
> to set the --prefix arg to configure.  It looks like the site-lisp
> directory
> is "/Applications/Aquamacs Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp".
> There
> is no "share" or "emacs" in that path.  I assume I should set the
> --with-emacs arg to "/Applications/Aquamacs Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/
> Aquamacs Emacs".

As said many times on this list, do NOT manipulate the .app bundle.

Extensions are installed in ~/Library/Preferences/Aquamacs Emacs (or
the system-wide equivalent in /Library).  You should be able to a
directory there to keep different extensions separate.  You can
compile using Aquamacs as you say, or, more reliably, use --with-emacs
`which emacs', which will select the emacs that comes with OS X.  It
is usually in /usr/bin/emacs, I believe.

http://aquamacs.org/donate -- Could we help you? Return the favor and
support the Aquamacs Project!