[OS X Emacs] emacs Latex word/expression auto-completion

wishi brouce at gmx.net
Fri Oct 10 10:46:22 EDT 2008

Hi!

Well... completely lacking. I wouldn't say that. :) No!
I found something interesting:

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs-en/CompletionUI

I edited my init files accordingly, after installing it.. and added:

(global-set-key [(tab)] 'smart-tab)
 (defun smart-tab ()
   "This smart tab is minibuffer compliant: it acts as usual in
     the minibuffer. Else, if mark is active, indents region. Else if
     point is at the end of a symbol, expands it. Else indents the
     current line."
   (interactive)
   (if (minibufferp)
       (unless (minibuffer-complete)
         (dabbrev-expand nil))
     (if mark-active
         (indent-region (region-beginning)
                        (region-end))
       (if (looking-at "\\_>")
           (dabbrev-expand nil)
         (indent-for-tab-command)))))

That's adding non-context aware tab-completion, but by using the
semantic bovinator in competionUI this could be enhanced. I'm not sure
jet how I can do that.

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs-en?CategoryCompletion

I read about a popup completion which is context sensitive. Of course by
computer scientific points you can implement this in Lisp... can.

http://nschum.de/src/emacs/company-mode/
This seems to be a very cool approach. I'm nut sure whether is's
Aquamacs or me, being incompatible:

;; add-to-list 'load-path "$PATH")
(require 'company-mode)
(require 'company-bundled-completions)
(company-install-bundled-completions-rules)

In my .emacs this works out, without errors.

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs-en/CompanyMode

I'm somehow unsure how to invoke this - the documentation is quite small
I'd say.

At the moment the tab completion saves typing - but I guess I'm doing
some more stuff. Would be a great default implementation in Aquamacs,
because math-folks don't necessary know LISP but like ease and Auctex -
which don't come together very often :)

Thanks,
wishi