[OS X Emacs] scratch and scratch <2>

José Miguel Figueroa-O'Farrill j.m.figueroa at ed.ac.uk
Sat Oct 18 10:44:21 EDT 2008

On 18 Oct 2008, at 15:33, Ivan Werning wrote:

> I deleted all my preferences, now I only get one scratch. (It no
> longer opens the files I was working with in the previous session
> though; I must have deleted something I had there).

This sounds familiar.  I had the same problem and it was due to
desktop.el.  There is a way to tell desktop.el not to restore the
*scratch* buffer, but this stopped working in Aquamacs somewhere
between 1.0 and 1.4, I forget exactly.  So it used to try to restore
the *scratch* but since there was already one, it gave a warning when
doing it.  At any rate, one ended up with two scratch buffers.  Since
desktop.el never really worked well with Aquamcs, I stopped using
it.  Instead I use the menu "File->Open Recent" a lot :)  It's not as
convenient as desktop.el, but I can live with it, especially since
the only time I close Aquamacs is when I restart the computer.

Cheers, José

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.