[OS X Emacs] Re: [Aquamacs-bugs] latex error continued...

David Reitter david.reitter at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 18:29:05 EDT 2008

Jesper,

to inspect a variable in Emacs, type C-h v variablename RET.

Please inspect the variable `TeX-command-list' after loading your TeX
file.  For me, it has an element like this:

("LaTeX" "%`%l%(mode)%' %t" TeX-run-TeX nil
   (latex-mode doctex-mode)
   :help "Run LaTeX")

Now inspect `TeX-expand-list'.

This should have an entry

     ("%`" (lambda nil
	    (setq TeX-command-pos t TeX-command-text "")))

Also, please check `LaTeX-command', which should simply be "latex".

Finally, please have a look at `buffer-file-name', called from within
the buffer that you're compiling.

The next thing to do would be to create a new buffer, paste the code
below (a new definition of the AUCTeX function TeX-command) and then
do M-x eval-buffer RET.
This will add a debug output.
When you then attempt to compile your LaTeX file, you should get some
additional information in your *Messages* buffer, beginning with
"executing latex command".
This line is something we would want to see to help you fix this
problem.

Finally, I presume that you're trying this with a new, minimal LaTeX
document without much content.

Best
- David

http://aquamacs.org/donate -- Could we help you? Return the favor and
support the Aquamacs Project!

(defun TeX-command (name file &optional override-confirm)
   "Run command NAME on the file returned by calling FILE.

FILE is the symbol of a function returning a file name.  The
function has one optional argument, the extension to use on the
file.

Use the information in `TeX-command-list' to determine how to run
the command.

If OVERRIDE-CONFIRM is a prefix argument, confirmation will be
asked if it is positive, and suppressed if it is not."
   (cond ((eq file 'TeX-region-file)
	 (setq TeX-current-process-region-p t))
	((eq file 'TeX-master-file)
	 (setq TeX-current-process-region-p nil)))
   (let ((command (TeX-command-expand (nth 1 (assoc name TeX-command-
list))
				     file))
	(hook (nth 2 (assoc name TeX-command-list)))
	(confirm (if override-confirm
		     (> (prefix-numeric-value override-confirm) 0)
		   (nth 3 (assoc name TeX-command-list)))))

     ;; Verify the expanded command
     (if confirm
	(setq command
	      (read-from-minibuffer (concat name " command: ") command
				    nil nil)))

     ;; Now start the process
     (setq file (funcall file))
     (TeX-process-set-variable file 'TeX-command-next TeX-command-Show)
     (message "executing latex command: %s" command)
     (funcall hook name command file)))