[OS X Emacs] Aquamacs Emacs 1.5 and scrolling

David Reitter david.reitter at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 21:00:10 EDT 2008

On 22 Sep 2008, at 18:28, Stefan Vollmar wrote:

> One small thing: we are starting our compiled programs from within
> Aquamacs with
> (shell-command "./mybin &") to capture the output in the "*Async
> Shell Command*" buffer. This is very useful and generally works
> well. However, the buffer with the program's output always ends up
> in a way that requires to scroll back manually to see the last lines
> of output. Can we configure Aquamacs to not scroll beyond the last
> line of captured output? Many thanks in advance.

Tricky one.  I would have thought that

(setq scroll-up-aggressively 0.0)

should do the trick, but it doesn't.

Inspection of the `shell-command' code shows me that it's a buffer in
shell-mode, which uses comint. So:

(setq comint-scroll-show-maximum-output t)

This is documented as "Non-nil means scroll so that the window is full
of text and point is on the last line. "

Now, unfortunately this doesn't work for me either, so right now I'm
at a loss.

If no-one else has an idea here, we should ask over on help-gnu-
emacs.  It's not specific to Aquamacs it seems.
Feels like a bug or a really badly documented feature.

http://aquamacs.org/donate -- Could we help you? Return the favor and
support the Aquamacs Project!