[OS X Emacs] find-file force frame selection?

Stefan Vollmar vollmar at nf.mpg.de
Sun Aug 16 10:10:55 EDT 2009

Dear Aquamacs team,

> From: David Reitter <david.reitter at gmail.com>
> Date: 29. Januar 2009 03:05:29 MEZ
> Subject: Re: [OS X Emacs] Aquamacs 1.6: find-file force frame
> selection?
> >

> On 28-Jan-09, at 2:49 PM, Stefan Vollmar wrote:
>
>> I observed the following behaviour in the current Aquamacs release
>> (1.6): on my large screen I like to have two or more frames next to
>> each other. Each of them usually has a number of tabs. Consider two
>> frames ("left" and "right"). If I active frame "left" and do a find-
>> file, I expect the resulting buffer to be displayed in frame
>> "left", vice versa for a find-file in frame "right". However, if
>> the file I select happens to have an associated tab in the other
>> frame, Aquamacs will activate the "wrong" frame and bring the
>> corresponding tab to the front. This is not necessarily a bug but
>> different from what I expect - I would
>
> On 28 Jan 2009, at 19:05, HERBERT KORTE wrote:
>
>> I have observed the same behaviour.
>
> It's indeed not a bug, it's a feature.
>
> Herbert, are you implying that you'd also like a switch for this?
>
> If some people are opposed to this behavior, one could easily add a
> customization variable.  This could also affect "switch-to-buffer"
> behavior (e.g., Window menu).  For "switch-to-buffer", we already
> have a special "switch-to-buffer-here".

The current Aquamacs 2.0pr2 behaves like Aquamacs 1.6 in this respect.
It seems there is at least one other user (Herbert Korté) who would
appreciate an "aquamacs-find-file-here" function. As mentioned before,
it is not a bug but making this a user-defined preference would surely
be in the very best Aquamacs tradition (and this is meant as a serious
compliment).

Warm regards,
  Stefan
--
Dr. Stefan Vollmar, Dipl.-Phys.
Max-Planck-Institut für neurologische Forschung