[OS X Emacs] turn-on-auto-fill not working

David Reitter david.reitter at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 12:23:43 EST 2009

On 26 Feb 2009, at 17:24, Patrick May wrote:

> ;; default to text mode
> (setq default-major-mode 'text-mode)

I generally recommend against that, because it slows down Aquamacs
(and any Emacs).  Many buffers are created for internal functions, and
every time this happens, it will do all the things needed for `text-
mode', which can be a lot (e.g., auto fill mode, spell checking,
etc.).  Earlier Aquamacs versions had this set like you do, but I've
learned from experience :)

Instead, in recent Aquamacs versions, just set `initial-major-mode'.
This will apply to buffers created with Command-N or Command-T.

http://aquamacs.org/donate -- Could we help you? Return the favor and
support the Aquamacs Project!