[OS X Emacs] Installing newer version of org-mode

Michael Gilbert mcg at gilbert.org
Sun Jul 5 15:18:56 EDT 2009

On Jul 5,2009, at 9:39 AM, Thomas S. Dye wrote:

> I've been using org-mode quite a bit lately, enough to discover that
> I'd like to use features added recently.  The org-mode in Aquamacs
> is 5.23a; the current org-mode release is 6.28.   What is the best
> way to install a new org-mode so it works with Aquamacs?

In order to make it easy for me to keep up with nightly builds, I did
this the simple way. In my .emacs file (the preferences file), I just
added two lines pointing emacs to the newer orgmode directory. I
stored the latter side by side with Aquamacs in a directory. The
instructions for this are also in the orgmode manual, right near the
top. I store Aquamacs in a user Applications directory on my machine,
so the two lines in my file look like this:

(setq load-path (cons "~/Applications/Text/Aquamacs/org-6.28e/lisp"
load-path))
(setq load-path (cons "~/Applications/Text/Aquamacs/org-6.28e/contrib/
lisp" load-path))

Now I can upgrade Aquamacs any time I like without having to re-
upgrade orgmode.

-- Michael

Michael C. Gilbert -- mcg at gilbert.org

    The Gilbert Center -- http://gilbert.org
    With Michael Gilbert -- http://with.gilbert.org
    Nonprofit Online News -- http://nonprofitnews.org

        "There can be no joy of life without joy of work." -- Aquinas