[OS X Emacs] auto-close pairs/skeleton-pair and German keyboard layout

Stefan Strohmeier stefan.strohmeier at gmx.de
Thu Mar 12 09:41:55 EDT 2009

Dear all,

I inserted the above code into preferences.el in order
to autoclose brackets and quotes. Since I use a Mac
German keyboard layout I cannot insert [] and {} in
this manner. When I switch the keyboard layout to
standard Mac characters I can insert all pairs in the
desired manner.

Is there a way to modify the keybindings without having
to switch to another keyboard layout? I would like to
use OPTION-8 for {} and OPTION-5 for [] in all modes.

How can this be done?

I am using Mac OS X 10.4.11 and Aquamacs 1.7.

regards,
Stefan

;; ======= Auto Complete ========
;; enable skeleton-pair insert globally
(setq skeleton-pair t)
;;(setq skeleton-pair-on-word t)
(global-set-key "("  'skeleton-pair-insert-maybe)