[OS X Emacs] Re: Configure Hard Wrap Option

Christopher Menzel cmenzel at tamu.edu
Wed Mar 18 14:33:07 EDT 2009

On Mar 18, 2009, at 1:06 PM, Karim wrote:
> David Reitter <david.reitter <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

>> Unless you are collaborating with others who need hard wrapping, I
>> would recommend against using it. Use soft-wrapping instead for
>> greater flexibility and less work reformatting (M-q) while writing.
>
> That is exactly why I need the hard wrapping.

I too, but I also just like having my window wider than the right
margin of my paragraphs.  (Is there a way to have that with soft
wrapping?  I suspect that the answer might be "No" simply as a matter
of definition...)

> In general, how can I find out where all these options are?

To get hard word wrapping by default put

   (add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'turn-on-auto-fill)

in ~/Library/Preferences/Aquamacs Emacs/Preferences.el .  To set your
desired max line length:

   M-x customize-variable<RET> fill-column<RET> .

Chris Menzel