[OS X Emacs] Re: Configure Hard Wrap Option

xahlee at gmail.com xahlee at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 20:13:51 EDT 2009

Xah wrote:
>> somehow it missed this one. [soft wrap or display margin]

> On Mar 18, 2009 4:20pm, David Reitter <david.reitter at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Somehow, it didn't miss it.

> LOL. Good. (^_^)

wait, i replied too fast.

Aquamacs emacs actually does not support display margin, which i think is
the original poster wanted.

In aquamacs emacs, if you have a long line say 3000 chars, and you turn on
“Soft Word Wrap” under “Options”. Then, drag your window to wide, you'll
see that the line keeps going from left window border to right window
border. That is, there is no right margin.

longlines-mode, effectively introduces right margin. Buggy and the way its
done is a hack. Possibly emacs will need to introduce the concept of
margins in its display system.

I just looked at XCode. Apparently it doesn't have margin neither. I looked
at Eclisp, apparently no. Nor TextWrangler/BBEdit. I wonder if TextMate
support it, or MS Visual Studio. (note: all word processors support
margins. TextEdit also does if you are in rich text mode.)

Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/

☄