[OS X Emacs] Re: How does one get word-wrap to work consistently across platforms?

David Reitter david.reitter at gmail.com
Sat May 2 14:57:11 EDT 2009

Bill Raynor on the org-mode mailing list:
> have an on-going problem with getting soft-word wrap to work within
> org-mode. I am using both Aquamacs (org v6.24a) on a macbook and GNU
> Emacs 23.0.60.1 (org 6.21b) on an XP book (work). In Aquamacs, I
> have soft-word wrap set to on in options and (setq org-startup-
> truncated nil) in my configuration file. The soft fill works
> inconsistently, and org does not obey the option-q command which is
> bound to fill-paragraph-or-region. When I use that key combo in GNU
> Emacs, it does a nice file. In Aquamacs it (usually) replies 'fill-
> prefix cancelled'. When I run the M-x fill-paragraph it does the
> wrapping with no indenting. What am I doing incorrectly in the
> Aquamacs setup? I would like the system to automatically set the
> fill-column to, say, 80, and to do soft wraps.

Try M-Q instead of M-q in Aquamacs.  The semantics change when you
switch to soft-wrapping, because usually one doesn't want to hard-wrap
when soft-wrapping is on.

If I misunderstood you, try writing to the Emacs-on-OSX mailing list,
where we support Aquamacs (and Emacs) users.  (I don't think it's an
org-mode problem, unless M-q is supposed to be remapped there.  Find
out with C-h k M-q  (in Emacs 23 and Aquamacs).

- David

http://aquamacs.org/donate -- Could we help you? Return the favor and
support the Aquamacs Project!